Monday, August 04, 2008

Maybe One Day...

I just got back from Oklahoma City. We took the students on a mission trip. This is kind of a unique move for a non-profit, but we did it. What wasn't unique was the last night of the trip when a couple younger students decided to sneak out of the college dorm we were staying in. I guess there's an unwritten law that demands students to go crazy on the last night of a trip.

Their plan changed quickly when the first one slid out the tiny window opening onto the most intense bed of thorns and stickerbugs I've ever experienced. Yes, I experienced it because I had night duty and had to rescue him. I carried him out over the security wall.

He was dangling from the window when I got to him. His face was covered in shame and tears. His arms were bloody from being continuously scraped against the brick wall as his roommate struggled from inside to keep him up from touching the bed of nails. Their grip on each other was fading.

After bringing him in and letting the nurse do her magic on his medley of cuts and bruises, I asked the question that makes us designated parents at times, "What were you thinking?"

His response almost made me laugh. With most sincere face and high pitched elementary voice he said, "It's the last night. You're supposed to have fun." You might have to know this student to find this as funny as I did. He really believed that was a valid excuse.

And it made me think. Maybe he has a point. I might regret writing this, but... I think that life--for everyone--would be really boring if kids didn't push the limits. I didn't tell him that. But maybe one day I will.

No comments: